Enjoy these beautiful, simple and no stress activities as you are homeschooling through the holidays. Our Christmas Tree Study for kids includes not only nature study but a nature craft, Christmas hymn and composer study and an art lesson with Nana too!
The Reality Of Holiday Homeschooling
When we are homeschooling through the holidays, we can change things up, take our time, incorporate favorite traditions and make lovely memories together as a family. Many families choose to set aside this time for Christmas School. These weeks can lead up to and create a special focus on the birth of Christ.
Just how? You can choose read alouds that point to Jesus and do hands on art lessons to draw your way through the Christmas story. Pick a nature study hunt for red and green and study a traditional hymn about the reason for the season. We always like to make Nana’s Christmas cookies! Have a sweet tea time. Watch Christmas movies!
Another way to homeschool through the holidays is with this special event around a Christmas tree study!
A Christmas Tree for the Animals Event: Here’s How to Be Ready
- When: LIVE premiere Wednesday, November 16th at noon ET
- Where: Right here on this page!
- How: Sign up to participate via the form, below
- Can’t attend live? No worries! Sign up and you will have access to the replay of the event
What’s Included in Christmas Tree For the Animals Event?
When the event is live, you will enjoy (you will also have access to the replay):
- Decorating an Outdoor Christmas Tree for the Animals with Amy Law of Homeschool Nature Study
- Christmas Craft for Your Outdoor Tree with Victoria Vels of Homeschool Nature Study
- Christmas Tree for the Animals Art Lesson with Nana of You ARE an ARTiST
You will also have access to:
- Spruce Tree Nature Study Download by Homeschool Nature Study
- O Christmas Tree Hymn Study Download by Dawn Peluso of You ARE an ARTiST
- Composer Study Download by Stef Layton of You ARE an ARTiST Fine Arts/Homeschool Nature Study
What Supplies are Needed?
For your art time with Nana, you will just need a very few suggested supplies, below:
- a starter set of chalk pastels (Our favorites are here)
- construction paper (Nana suggests white construction paper for this lesson)
- baby wipes or damp paper towel for easy clean up
Details on supplies for the craft portion included with sign up.
Christmas Tree Animals Study
It is so much fun to decorate an outdoor tree just for the animals! For even more animals studies, you can also enjoy an art lesson on forest animals and birds – here at You ARE an ARTiST and a nature study at Homeschool Nature Study.
Here are some ideas for your Christmas Tree Animals study with an art and nature focus:
- Stopping By The Woods on a Snowy Evening
- Deer in forest
- Bird in snow and MORE Bird art and bird nature studies (including Great Backyard Bird Count)
- Lessons in Preschool Winter and Winter
Christmas Tree Nature Study
Trees are a delight to study any time of year! Enjoy these additional ideas for a tree nature study or for winter nature study you can easily do indoors or outdoors.
Paint a winter frosty leaf in chalk pastels with Nana!
Red and Green Outdoor Hour Challenge – this is a fun way to notice red and green in nature. Get started with these ideas.
In Homeschool Nature Study membership, you can also find a study of the Hemlock Tree in the Autumn course and Evergreens in My Yard study and journal page in the Trees course. Each season includes a new tree study.
FREE Winter Sample of Homeschool Nature Study Membership – with simple ways to study nature this winter, taking a ‘using your senses’ walk, studying animals in winter, taking a first day of winter walk and more!
Christmas Craft Activities For Kids
Besides your fun homeschool nature craft that Victoria will lead you in this event, you might also enjoy these hands-on activities for Christmas
- Nature Crafts course – Victoria leads you in a brand new nature craft each month at Homeschool Nature Study. As you head into winter, you might especially love creating an ice craft!
- Nana’s course, The Gift of Art, is perfect for allowing your kids to make gifts for others on a dime. Nana shares easy ideas for kids of all ages to make a gift to give that they will be proud of. Letting your children handmake a gift for someone is affordable and allows them to express their creativity. Not only that, your kids can gift items that showcase their artistic progress.
- Christmas Tree Art Lessons – Nana has several FUN Christmas tree art lessons and so much more!
Additional Resources For Christmas In Your Homeschool
Continue your lovely Christmas school with even more resources to create memories this year.
- Draw Your Way Through the Story of Christmas – Add these Advent art activities to your Christmas Homeschool plans! You can draw your way through the story of Christmas from the angels announcing Messiah’s birth to the manger scene.
- The Ultimate List of Christmas Homeschool Art Lessons – Enjoy this ultimate list of Christmas Homeschool Art Lessons! Christmas homeschooling allows us to focus on the real reason for the season. And you can do that in so many ways. We will give many resources to choose from and help you customize your perfect Christmas school day, week, or month.
- Christmas Literature studies with A Christmas Carol Homeschool Activities, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever Unit Study, Stopping By The Woods on a Snowy Evening Tea Time and If You Take a Mouse to the Movies Hands On Homeschool Activities
- Christmas Book to Movie Homeschool Activities Your Kids Will Love! by Erin – Check out this festive list of Christmas books made into movies – with homeschool activities your kids will love! Now your kids can re-create their favorite book characters and movie scenes with chalk pastels! Like Kevin from Home Alone, the Grinch and more!
- A Merry Christmas Hymns Study for Your Homeschool – Whether you homeschool as normal through December, add in Christmas activities, or trade all your homeschool curriculum for ‘Christmas School,’ a Christmas hymns study can be an enjoyable part of your school day. It is a beautiful opportunity for the family to learn and worship together.
- The Nutcracker: A Holiday Homeschool Unit Study – Celebrate the Christmas season and enjoy the famous ballet with Nana’s Nutcracker video art lessons. Nana has a Nutcracker ballet lesson added to the collection just for members. Plus Clubhouse members get to enjoy a Nutcracker-themed special event and a companion Nutcracker curriculum!
- A Winter Homeschool Snowflake Study with Snowflake Bentley – This winter homeschool snowflake study combines the beauty of winter with the fascinating life of Snowflake Bentley.
- Winter Solstice Art Activities for Your Homeschool – Celebrate the winter solstice with your kids with chalk pastels winter themed art! They are easy and fun for the whole family. A perfect addition to your winter homeschooling!
You might also like these beautiful topics:
- The Chronicles of Narnia: A Homeschool Art Adventure
- Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Evening tea time
- Chalk Pastel Bird Study with Nana
Where to Find Nana, Tricia, Victoria, Amy, Dawn and Stef
We have loved this Christmas Tree Study for kids! We invite you to connect with us and find even more lovely homeschooling through the holidays ideas.
- Nana at You ARE an ARTiST
- Tricia at Your Best Homeschool
- Victoria on Instagram at Homeschool Nature Study
- Amy on Instagram and at Homeschool Nature Study
- Dawn on Instagram and the Schoolin’ Swag Blog
- Stef on Instagram and at Layton Adventures
Share on Social Media!
As Courtney shared in her Biblical homeschool post, “we hope that this gives you lots of inspiration for your Christmas school plans this year! Remember, you don’t have to do it all this year. Advent is all about preparing our hearts and dwelling in His perfect peace. Christmas school is an opportunity not only for creativity and education but for making lasting memories together.”
Growing a love of art at You ARE an ARTiST is a multi-generational passion! Tricia is Nana’s daughter and a mama of five children. Nana shared her first chalk pastel art lessons with her grandchildren around Tricia’s kitchen table. Homeschooling since 2000, Tricia has seen the fruits of home education with three homeschool grads so far! She shares the art and heart of homeschooling at Your Best Homeschool and is author of the book, Help! I’m Homeschooling! She and her husband, Steve, are also owners of sister sites Homeschool Nature Study and The Curriculum Choice.